Monday, January 24, 2011

Oh and there's a THEME!!

Alright, so "the talk" (i.e. the possibly traumatic, I end up accepting that we'll be at city hall in flip flops with twisty ties for rings out come conversation with my parents) happened with my mom in dad.  Not in a lets sit down and put numbers together kind of way, but in a what did you talk about at Grandma's kind of way.
This is how it came about: I went over to Grandma Lois's to give her a check for the loan she gave me and my Aunt asked about when the wedding would be, because they were planning out their travel for the year.(Something I have problems with, but that's neither here nor there) I told her (thinking she's crazy) it's not till next year, and not to worry about it yet. Well, then Grandma wanted to know more details and was asking questions, so I was answering.  The questions were basics like where, what colors, venue, etc., and nothing to set in stone.  At some point my Aunt puts in that she and Dana (the woman who works in the office with me and has been my mom's friend since elementary school or before) had talked and want to trow me a shower.  That little detail is where the conversation with my mother started.
I had to tell my mother about this factoid, I just had to.

 
You see, Dana and Mary Alice are probably the two people in the ENTIRE world who's takes on things differ the most from mine.  Dana is not that girly and HATES Pink. Pink is one of my colors.  Mary Alice, well, she sees things going one way, and doesn't really take well to in put.  I really don't want a party that's 20 old ladies eating petit fores at in the church fellowship hall with yellow streamers and carnations.  Now when she said this to me, I was surprised and acted very greatful. It's not that I'm not, I mean any one who wants to take on the cost of throwing me a shower I will not say no.  It's amazing that they want to do this...it's just that I don't know that my vision will play into it at all.  If it will be one of those "she knows that it's going to happen, but everything is else is a surprise" affairs, or if it will be "Katherine tell us what you want and we'll run with it." I'm hoping for the latter, but if it's the former, I'm crossing my fingers that they'll ask mom/Sarah O./Amber (MOH)/Ruby(MOH)/any bridesmaid for help with things and let them be guides so that it's not so dreary, prissy, and a sad take on Victorian.

So I went home and told mom. After telling her about that and describing my fears and agreeing that it would be something I would have to grin and bear (my dad offered to give me and my girls drinks before to help us), I just started telling her about other things.  That led to me telling her that she would be there for the important decisions, "you know, the ones where you have to write a check."  And that, my friends, is how the topic of money was approached, and how it went down.  The possible responses were endless, but I pretty much got an agreement from her.  HAHAHA.  You see, that lovely little qoute came at the end of a banter in which I told her that every little decision was made (colors, flower, attendants...) and they would all be together in a book, so that all we had to do was find the venders, make the arrangements, and write the checks.  Bing Bang Boom.  No endless errands, no tiny little details to stress over, just fun decisions that can't be made on paper (food, cake flavor, dress).  So as it stands: Rob has some conversations to hold(his parents, my parents) when those are done, then we'll divy up things and have a better idea of where we stand.  No I'm not going for sky's the limit I get everything, but I am making decisions that are (in my mind) not extravegant, and examining what can be DIY.
So no on location Disney blow out, but we will be going to WDW for Honeymoon! So our theme is: "Disney in the Details." So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment